Enjoy a half-day private excursion to Marathon, a place of rich history and natural beauty
Famous for the ‘Battle of Marathon’ that took place in 490 B.C.E., Marathon is one of the most beautiful places in Attica. The drive along the impressive coastline is a beautiful experience in its own right with gardens, vineyards, olive groves and wild vegetation. The same is true for the artificial Marathon Lake with the impressive marble dam.
- Enjoy a private guided tour of the archeological site of Marathon
- Enjoy beautiful views of the Marathon Lake and its surroundings
- Admire the Marathon Tomb
- Learn the story of the ‘Battle of Marathon’
Please note that all our tours are Private, thus some of them are directly bookable for later dates because they are subject to availability. If you wish to book a tour at an earlier date please use the “send inquiry” form.
A 5-hour private excursion including:
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off (vehicle)
- Transport by luxury private vehicle (no taxi)
- Refreshment & snack basket in vehicle
- 2-hour private guided tour to Marathon and its Museum
- Private services of a state-licensed guide for the entire excursion
- Private services of a specialized "Insider" driver
- All taxes
- Entry fees to Archeological site(s)
- Cost of lunch
- Personal expenses
You will first stop to admire the Marathon Tomb, the final resting place of the 192 soldiers who died in the ancient ‘Battle of Marathon’. Your guide will provide information about this historically significant event, as well as the symbolism of the Olympic Marathon race. Then you will visit the archeological museum of Marathon, where you will admire findings dating back from the Neolithic Era and up to the 2nd century A.C.E.
Marathon Archeological Museum
Founded in 1975, the Museum is located about 4.6 kilometers from the Tumulus of the Athenians in Marathon and exhibits range in time from the Prehistoric era to the late Roman times. The museum collection includes Neolithic and Helladic pottery, finds from the Athenians’ Tumulus and the Trophy monument set up on the battle ground in memory of the Battle of Marathon, grave reliefs, dedicatory inscriptions, boundary stones, steles and impressive statues from the Egyptian sanctuary dedicated to the cult of Isis. This small but organized museum is nestled in a valley which also encompasses the covered Helladic cemeteries in close proximity.
Marathon Archeological Site
The plain of Marathon, spread out between the Pendeli mountain range and the Euboian Gulf, abounds with archeological finds that attest to this area having been continuously inhabited since Neolithic times. Among others, the archeological sites include the Cave of Pan at Oinoë, the sanctuary dedicated to the Egyptian deities south of the plain, and in the valley along the road leading from the Marathon avenue to the Museum, are the three Helladic cemeteries of Tsepi, Vranas and Arnos, dating from 3200BC to 1200 BC. But the most notable site remains the Tumulus or grave mound of the Athenians at Marathon, which shelters the remains of some 200 Athenians who fell in the famous Battle of Marathon in 490 BC when the Athenians with their allies, the Plateans, defeated the Persians. After the victory, an Athenian soldier ran the 42 kilometers to Athens to announce the victory before dying of exhaustion. The yearly classical Marathon race which starts at the Tumulus commemorates the event.
Notes & Clarifications
- Prices vary according to group size
- Keep in mind that this is a private tour and possible to customize to meet your desires. Should you want to change the itinerary please do not hesitate to contact us by sending us a request through the inquiry form
- Don’t forget your hat, sun-block and a light cardigan
What makes us different?
- We offer only private tours. No mixed groups
- We are absolutely flexible. Our tours can be customized to your wishes
- Special requests are always welcome. We love to tailor holidays
- All of our tours are designed and operated by our company
- Our “Insiders” guides are thoroughly selected and trained, each one of them expert in his field
- We always select the most suitable state-licensed “Insider” guide who matches your profile and interests
This tour doesn't have any reviews yet..